The SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE has the following major components:
1. KiloWatt Labs Super Capacitors
These are the individual energy storage units inside the SIRIUS.
The supercapacitors are designed and manufactured by KiloWatt Labs and boast an ever-increasing the high energy density of 80Wh/kg. The supercapacitors have a minimum, ever-improving, Graphene /rGO content of 98.3%. The supercapacitors are arranged and interconnected to provide the required voltage and the storage capacity of the specific model.
For instance, inside the 7.1kWh SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE, there are 2400 individual
supercapacitors, arranged in a specific manner to provide a 48VDC module with an overall
energy capacity of 7.1 kWh.
2. Capacitor Controllers
To prevent each supercapacitor from discharging all it’s stored energy as quickly as possible, KiloWatt Labs designed unique, patent-pending controlling electronics to control the discharge rate and voltage of each individual supercapacitor. This controller is highly efficient and unique to the KiloWatt product range. Multiple versions of the controllers exist and the most applicable version is selected for the required/desired charge and discharge rate of the model being built.
3. Interconnecting Wiring
All these individually controlled supercapacitors are interconnected with circuitry and wiring. The current carrying capacity of the interconnecting circuitry and wiring are matched with the required/desired charge and discharge rate of the model being built.
4. Overall Monitoring, Balancing Controller
The SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE monitors:
- The health of the arranged supercapacitors and capacitor controllers.
- Charge and Discharge rates
- Stored Energy etc.
5. Safety Circuit
The SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE also has built-in safety circuitry that protects the unit
when abnormal internal or external conditions are detected.
CHARGE AND DISCHARGE RATES
SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULES are manufactured at different C ratings.
- Presently KiloWatt Labs produce Models from a 1C rating (charging in 1 hour) up to a 7C rating (charging in under 9 minutes).
- The desired charge and discharge rate directly affects the amount of current that will flow at any given moment.
- The higher the allowed current, the more copper is required in the interconnecting wiring and controller circuitry.
- The KiloWatt Labs super capacitors inside every SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE are capable of charging in 30 seconds, but the controllers, circuitry and wiring is matched with the product need.
- The SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULES that are suitable for the Solar PV market has a C Rating of 1.35C.
- This means that the unit can be charge form 0% to 100% in 44 minutes.
- For the 3.55kWh – 1.35C unit this rating equates to a charging and discharging current rating of 100A (48VDC)
- For the 7.1kWh – 1.35C unit this rating equates to a charging and discharging current rating of 200A (48VDC)
EVEN AT THE MAXIMUM RATED CHARGE AND DISCHARGE RATES THE SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE GENERATES MINIMAL HEAT BECAUSE of THE ENERGY STORAGE IS NON-CHEMICAL IN NATURE.
The KiloWatt Labs Super Capacitor as the energy storage heart of the SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE can provide an expected 1 million charge and discharge cycles. The Controlling, Charging and Monitoring Circuitry has an expected lifespan of 45 years. The product carries a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty Practically speaking, the SIRIUS CAPACITOR MODULE will outlast your solar array.